Adventures, part two.
Now I've spent the past two hours obsessing about gum disease over the internet. Satiated, I want to share what I've learned.
FLOSS YOUR TEETH OR YOU WILL LOSE THEM. Actually, I knew this. I got the scare last year when the SF dentist suggested root planing. [Note, Benni had one of those and reports they're not as scary as I make them out to be.] Half or more of us have some level of gum disease, the most common cause of tooth loss. At the early stage, gum disease can be stopped (but bone loss not reversed) by better oral hygeine at home and regular dentist visits. A root planing is effective for many, but I was too busy/chicken to do this, so have been flossing religiously for the past year. Success! Except for the wisdom teeth issue, I got off easy this last dental visit; she just admonished me to floss in earnest, and make one of my daily brushings last three whole minutes, seriously clock it. But, with those worrisome 4 mm measurements, I think I'm still fighting off the gum disease—maybe root planing's still in my future—we'll see what she says in six months.
Also: soft bristles are best for gums. Harder toothbrushes can irritate gums and reduce your resistance to gum disease.- - -
Side note. Don't worry, I am doing more with my life than obsessing over my teeth these days (these manias come in bursts, anyway). These days I'm trying to learn topology, yoga poses, proper swim strokes, and ways to cook polenta. Actually I'm pretty much done with polenta for the time being. Oh, meanwhile, I'm also obsessing about my vision. And wedging in algebra here and there, but not too effectively. Anyway that summarizes the utterly self-centered (majority) part of my life these days.

3 Comments:
Also learning French!
Yes, after the polenta craze ended, clearly, it was time to start French :)
Après le engouement de la polenta, il y a un nouveau enthousiasme par le français. Alors, vouici! Et ensuite?
oops. i meant: voici. but then at least you've evidence the enthousiasme is genuinely nouveau!
Post a Comment
<< Home