Thursday, October 13, 2005

Ranticle

I must be as or more self-centered than anyone I know and like. Opinions at the ready, a tap-me type font, oh not typeface though I like the possibility for misread, I mean the water kind, but no guarantee to be good for one's health. I talk too much. I wonder if anyone notices. Is on to me, or cares.

In high school someone told me I'm unlikely to get Alzheimer's, after reading about the study that correlated the writing style of nuns with likelihood of affliction (researchers love nuns, who have a relatively fixed environment). Luckier were nuns with clause-y sentences, syntax a la some favorite authors of mine (v.n. & t.p., who annoy others for that same reason). Unlucky were sisters in the style of Hemingway. Have I blogged about this before? I have a finite bag of anecdotes, and this is one of them; haven't brought it out in awhile. They're like my photographs, keepsakes, or a big nerd's stamp collection.

But the update is that I've become over time (how long? the change to me imperceptible) inclined to sentence fragments and terse declarations. No, not terse, how I wish. Instead of deodorant I use a rock of potassium aluminum sulfate. Antiperspirant contains aluminum, too, and long ago there was the idea (cockamamie? not sure...) that this may contribute to Alzheimer's, since large amounts of aluminum was found accumulated in the myelin sheaths of nerves of the disease's victims, if I remember. So I wonder if after all these years, it wasn't Pound's prescription or poetic doctrine, but deodorant and debilitation that's shaped the way I write and the corresponding structure of my mind.

My mind is me so I don't want to lose it. I'm far from that, I'm not complaining, I complain more about my teeth, I say goodbye to one (I've decided, just ONE, it's $80 per tooth after all!) tomorrow; I will officially be EVEN LESS WISE.

Listen me! This brand of drunkenness the only I desire. The only cure is that sometimes I finally bore myself!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Benni said...

Well, instead of judging likelihood of Alzheimer's by writing style, I know I will be a candidate based on family history. Anyhow, you are loved. By me. And other people. :0)

10:01 PM, November 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home